This article shows you how to enable two-factor authentication (2FA) for your Tethr account. 2FA provides an extra layer of security for your Tethr account. As the number of websites losing personal data grows, it’s more important than ever that we take every step we can to safeguard our customers' data. 2FA provides that safeguard—if someone’s password is compromised your customers’ data won’t be lost.
What we'll cover:
- Understand how 2FA changes the way you sign in to your Tethr account
- Enable 2FA in Tethr with your mobile number
- Download and install the Authy app to confirm your two-factor authentication with a token
- If you already have two-factor authentication enabled
- Ways to disable two-factor authentication in Tethr
- Turn off 2FA by deleting your mobile number in Tethr user settings
- Self-disable 2FA from your user profile
- Request an Admin disable your account’s 2FA
Get started securing your Tethr account:
- First, you’ll need an active U.S. mobile number and mobile device to enable two-factor authentication with Tethr.
- And, you’ll want to download and install the Authy two-factor authenticator app onto the device you’re using for authentication (via the app store for your device type).
Once installed, the Authy app will provide a token that you’ll enter on your Tethr user Profile page during step seven in the Download and install the Authy app to confirm your two-factor authentication with a token section below.
Understand how 2FA changes the way you sign in to your Tethr account
If you’re enabling two-factor authentication for the first time, your Tethr login process will be different. For example to sign-in, you’ll need something you know (your password) and something you have (like your phone and a special token). These are the two factors that will verify and protect your Tethr account.
Enable 2FA in Tethr with your mobile number
- Log in to Tethr like you usually do and navigate to your user Profile by selecting the arrow next to your profile initials or photo and then select Settings.
- On your Tethr user Profile, you’ll see a section labeled Two-factor authentication. Note that you’ll need a mobile number to enable two-factor authentication with Tethr.
- Select Enable to begin the authentication process.
- A tooltip will display requesting you enter the mobile number (in format 512-555-1234) where you’d like a verification code sent. Once you’ve entered your number, select Send verification.
- You’ll receive a text message on your mobile phone with a four-digit Tethr verification code. Enter this code into the field in your Tethr user Profile and select Submit.
a) If you didn’t receive a text message with a four-digit Tethr verification code, select the option to Re-send code to have a new code sent again.
b) If you realize you’ve entered the wrong mobile number, or would like to authenticate using a different mobile number, select the option Change mobile number to re-enter the phone number.
- You’ll receive another text message verifying that two-factor authentication was enabled for your account and providing a link to download and install the Authy app from your particular mobile device’s app store.
Download and install the Authy app to confirm your two-factor authentication
Next, you’ll confirm two-factor authentication by entering the Authy token you received when you downloaded and installed the Authy app to your mobile phone.
- Download and install the Authy two-factor authenticator on your mobile device at https://www.authy.com/install.
- Once installed, you’ll be asked to enter your mobile phone number, country code first (for U.S. numbers, you’d enter +1 for the country code, and then your cell phone number area code first) and tap Ok.
- Next, you’ll be asked to enter your email address and tap Ok when done.
- You’ll be prompted to choose how to receive your Authy token account verification: via phone call or text message (SMS).
- Depending on which option you choose, you’ll immediately receive either a phone call or text message with your Authy verification (registration) code. Manually enter the registration code you received via phone or text message into the Authy app.
- You’ll have the option to allow Authy to send you notifications or opt-out. Tethr does not utilize Authy’s push notifications, so it’s not necessary to activate push notifications on your mobile phone for 2FA to work correctly.
- Once registration is verified, your Tethr account token will be displayed within the Authy app.
Critical: You’ll have 20 seconds to either capture the token or enter the token into Tethr’s user Profile page before it is reset. If the token is reset, you’ll need to enter the new token displaying in Authy into Tethr’s user Profile page pop-up.
- Returning to Tethr’s user Profile page where you initiated the 2FA process, enter the token from Authy into the pop-up and select Submit to confirm your two-factor authentication.
- Once the token has been entered into Tethr, your user profile page will display a Disable button indicating that two-factor has been enabled and can now only be disabled.
If you already have two-factor authentication enabled
On the Tethr login screen, after entering your password, you’ll be asked to provide your security token.
On the Authy token page, one of four things can happen:
- If you enter your code correctly, you’ll be logged into your Tethr account.
- If you’ve selected the option to “Remember this computer for 30 days,” you won’t be required to provide your security token for the next 30 days.
- If you happen to enter your security token incorrectly, your security token will not pass and you’ll be asked to try entering your token again.
- After five incorrect login attempts, you’ll be locked out of your Tethr account. You’ll receive an email alerting you that your account has been locked with instructions to unlock it.
Note: To unlock your account, follow the instructions in the email.
Ways to disable two-factor authentication in Tethr
Authy two-factor authentication relies on an active mobile phone number and a working mobile device. A few reasons you may want to turn 2FA off include:
- You lost your mobile device.
- Your mobile number changed.
- You plan to change your mobile number in the future.
- 2FA is no longer working for you and you’d like to disable it.
You can turn 2FA off yourself from your Tethr account if you do it in advance of changing your mobile number, or you checked the option to “Remember this computer for 30 days” and log in within the 30-day window. You can also have an Administrator disable 2FA for your account. The following are three ways you can disable two-factor authentication in Tethr:
Turn off 2FA by deleting your mobile number in Tethr user settings
Log in to Tethr and navigate to your Tethr user Profile. In the mobile number field below your email address field, select the red Delete link to delete the mobile number, and therefore, turn 2FA off.
Self-disable 2FA from your user profile
Log in to Tethr and navigate to your Tethr user Profile. On your user profile, you’ll see a section labeled Two-factor authentication. Select Disable to turn 2FA off for your Tethr account.
Request an Admin disable your account’s 2FA
Keep in mind that if you change your phone number or temporarily lose access to your phone, it may impact your ability to log in to Tethr. In this case, a Tethr Administrator at your company can disable 2FA for any users in the organization.
Need additional support for Authy 2FA?
These additional Authy support articles can help you with downloading and installing the Authy app across mobile device types, understanding the types of accounts that you can secure with Authy’s two-factor authentication, and adding a new 2FA account to Authy.